Monday, October 18, 2010

Techno-Indifference

I have frequently labelled myself as a Luddite. I have never seriously considered wrecking any kind of machinery, much less automated looms, however, there is no disputing that I am a very late-adopter of any technological advances and I do not consider all new technology as per se progress.

It turns out that social science has a more contemporary tag to hang on my toe: neo-Luddite.


"A Neo-Luddite is someone who believes that the use of technology has serious ethical, moral, and social ramifications. Operating under this belief, Neo-Luddites are cautious to promote early adoption of technology, and while they are not necessarily opposed to technology, they would prefer to see a more serious discussion of the role of technology in society. Some Neo-Luddites actually dislike technology, opting for a life of “voluntary simplicity,” but this is not always the case." http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-neo-luddite.htm

Yep, that about covers it for me.

I really do question the benefits of ever-increasing dependency and use of digital appliances. Are we healthier or do we just live longer? Are we safer or merely more observed? Are we wiser or simply possessed of more data.

There are some who will not even comprehend how I could question the progress. There are a few who will completely understand.

God told us we would wrest our bread from the ground through the sweat of our brow - perhaps that meant more than a command to "work hard".

No comments: